
What is in a name? I consider my complete name to be: Mercedes Noelle van Zijll Hoeveler. That is a mouthful and no, I don't go by that at all...ever. But in my mind, that is my name and I love every part of it.
My entire life, I have pretty much just been called "Mercedes" lumped into the "first name only" category at school, church and work. More likely than not, this is because "van Zijll" is a pretty intimidating last name to pronounce (if you are not Dutch) and no one else was named Mercedes. I didn't mind it per se, but I must admit that I love my maiden name. I love that there is no question about it... it is 100% Dutch, I love that it is two words, I loved that both my first name and last name were 3 syllables, I love that it is pronounced nothing like it is spelled, I love that both my best friend and husband can spell it correctly and I loved when a substitute teacher in school would be going down the roll taking attendance and when they would get to my name, they would hesitate after calling out my first name, and the entire class would yell, "van Zijll" (pronouncing it correctly as if the substitute was an idiot). Now that is the kind of name that has a presence.
When I got engaged I knew that I would take on Jon's last name and I didn't really question it. There are many things that I like about "Hoeveler" as well. I like that it is a European last name, like my maiden name, it is a very unique last name, both my first name and last name now have 3 "E's" spread out evenly within the name and the romantic side of me just likes the fact that it is the last name of the person that I love.
And still, I am just called "Mercedes"... I guess it is just too easy knowing that when someone (even in a formal environment) is saying my name they only have to say my first name and everyone will know to whom they are referring to.
However, lately at work, this "first name basis" reference has morphed into something that I can't stand....the transformation of just first name Mercedes into "Ms. Mercedes"!!! It's like people are confused that I only go by "Mercedes" with no last name reference, so they are making my name into some hybrid of first and last name but doing it in a really condescending way. The first time this happened was when I was dealing with a Recruiter on the phone and all of a sudden out of nowhere, he started calling me "Ms. Mercedes". I was a little bugged but just chalked it up to him being a little weird...but now, everyone is starting to call me this. Coworkers walking by my location, in emails and just now in a formal setting. When they call me this I suddenly feel 8 years old, playing grown up in a room full of adults!
Maybe just to be a pain, I will start asking people to refer to me as Mercedes Noelle van Zijll Hoeveler :)


6 comments:
man that stinks! I have usually been on the side of hating my name fist and last (not so much the 1st name now but the last maiden or none are lame so it's interesting to hear your fondness of the weird names. go you! I wish I could love Stangle but it's just too close to strangle or dangle you not the most romantic or sophisticated of names plus it means club (like a club to hit some one with) in german. at least that's what the family tells me. does van zijil mean anything?
Made me laugh! good story Ms. Mercedes
this made me laugh so hard. you couldn't have just married a "Smith" or a "Jones". you had to be different. I think i'm one of the few people who knows it's a lower case "v" in van, too! i feel honored.
This is so funny and I actully never thought about something like that being such an annoyance! I guess since I just went from Ashton (which people always managed to mess up somehow) to Coleman which is really really common hhaha. I will address you in full next time I run into you at Sams Club ;)
so funny! I'm sorry Mercedes, I know how it goes with the van last names, i got lucky and married a clark!
That was a great post! I would just let them know that your FIRST name is Mercedes and if they would like to call you Ms then it would be Ms Hoeveler. It makes me laugh becuase here in the south, everyone is about Ms-ing and Sir-ing everyone. I'm used to it now, but I'm Ms BISHOP, which for most people is probably easier than trying to pronounce my first name. ANyway, funny girl MECHES!
Post a Comment