Friday, January 23, 2009

5th Year Anniversary

Jon and I had our 5th anniversary on the 27th of December. Even though it was technically our anniversary, we didn't really acknowledge it or celebrate it on that date. We actually decided that we would drive home from Salt Lake on that day. We got up really early to pack and Jon chipped off all the frozen ice on our car for at least an hour. I don't know how he did it, I went outside once to carry luggage to the car and although it was beautiful because it was still dark outside and the sun was just beginning to rise, so the snow was really glistening, it was freezing! I forgot what it feels like to actually have your bones ache due to the harsh, biting cold.
When we left, the roads were still really icy but by the time we got out of Beaver, it was fine. However, the minute we hit Las Vegas it was bumper to bumper traffic the entire way home! I absolutely hate being in traffic staring at the dirt outside for hour upon hour. It took us 12 hours to finally get home and by the time we arrived in Brentwood, all I could think was how good my own bed was going to feel.
We were anxious to get everything out of the car, so we made one huge trip and took as many pieces of luggage as we could and got up to our apartment. Jon went to unlock the door and the door didn't open. We realized that the bottom lock to our apartment was locked! How could that be? We only use the top bolt lock because we only have one key...and that key is the bolt lock key! We were furious...someone (apartment manager) must have gone into our apartment while we were gone and locked both locks when they left! Jon tried calling both our apartment managers; one was on the east coast for the holiday's and the other wasn't answering her door or phone. We continued on being furious...Jon even broke into the Manager's office and looked through all the drawers looking for some kind of master key. We were determined to get in. Eventually a neighboor took pity on us and gave us all her screwdrivers and tools hoping that we could break in...but as it turns out, our apartment is REALLY secure. Honestly, I never really felt safe in our apartment and sometimes when Jon is at school really late, I have felt like someone could break in really easily. But now I know that that is impossible...we live in a vault.
As it turns out, I had my camera in my purse and had to take a picture of Jon trying to break into our own apartment:


We never were able to break in...we didn't even get in until the next morning!

4 comments:

Jaclyn said...

That is hilarious! Where did you sleep??

Jon and Mercedes said...

We ended up staying at my Dad's in Glendale. I was so mad!!!

Danielle said...

Hey Mercedes so I finally found your blog. So good you see you guys and congrats on the big 5!

Raych the brain Stangle said...

holy crap are you serious! I guess that is good (about living in a really secure place, maybe you should get a bump key *chuckle.
freak so did you guys chew out the managers? i would have bought tickets to see that.